Added Aug 2, 2010
I made this dress as a test for another dress I wanted to make later on. (Well, actually, it was an excuse to sew a new summer dress.) It’s Butterick 5029, and overall, it went together very well. I used a muslin (calico for you Brits) lining and a poly cotton blend eyelet fashion fabric.
There was one significant issue in both versions of the pattern (spaghetti strap and halter) – there was about 1" of extra fashion fabric on the side of the bust that was totally unaccounted for in the lining. Originally I thought it was just for gals with extra side fullness but the fullness wasn’t carried through into the lining. It was a frustrating detail that caused me to take apart the dress several times and refit it, even after it was completely finished. However, if you work with it on a dressform and carefully pin it down, it’s a successful and charming pattern. After these images were taken I went in and removed even more fabric out of that side bust area.
One other issue is that with gathered fashion fabric, interlining and lining, the seams are incredibly thick. My original plan for an invisible zipper was scrapped, because the zipper simply couldn’t zip through the thick seams and split under the tension of a tight dress. I ended up going with a vintage metal zipper, which functions much better.
White eyelet, poly/cotton blend, unknown origin
| Roclon Muslin lining and interlining | Coats and Clark vintage metal zipper
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
As an early special Black Friday promotion you can now enroll in the course ($80 value) for $49.99!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.