Added Jun 8, 2011
My brother’s the architect. This Ikea fabric (I’m such a fan that I don’t mind looking like people’s curtains!) reminded me of him.
It has a nice body and is not too drapey so I made something a bit more structured. I used a vintage pattern I found on Etsy as a starting point. As usual I don’t wait around for vintage patterns to appear in my size – I just buy whatever’s available and modify. I didn’t like the fit on the original pattern, even after resizing it to my size, so I modified it by adding bust darts and removing the original back darts, and by changing the slope of the shoulder.
I used orange cotton fabric for the trim that was left over from a previous project. And I used 2 layers of interfacing on the collar so it would STAND up.
Am really quite pleased with the result – I especially like the collar, I think it gives the dress a space-age look! I was afraid it would be scratchy and I’d have to line it, but in the end it worked beautifully :)
cotton fabric from Ikea
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.