Added Sep 23, 2009
First I cut out two strips 23" wide in white silk and dyed them each in a unique way in two stages using sapphire blue and dark green acid dyes. I then sewed one piece from one strip to one piece from the other, and vice versa, thus creating a two layer piece of fabric with a seam at the top of each. I attached a little strip of dyed gauze to the top where the seam lies (the eventual bodice) and proceeded to delve into the shirring right under it. After the shirring was finished, a pocket added, and the dress assembled and hemmed I cut out lots and lots of scales made from the left over silk and edged each scale with Fray Check to ensure clean edges. This also helped to give each scale a bit of body. I then pinned the scales to the dress in rows and hand sewed them, row by row, adding beads here and there on the front portion. After the scales were all attached I added a couple of strips of dyed silk gauze to the under layer edge and then made a little pin that can be moved anywhere on the dress. In the photos presented here it was placed at the waist.
The fabric I used for this project was 100% silk twill that I dyed by hand. The pin was made from three silk “scales”, wool felt for the backing, and glass beads at the front.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
The lines of Greek architecture inspire this neutral and pastel collection.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's variation of our Drawstring Gym Shorts, and see how she made them high-fashion!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.