Added Sep 2, 2011
I was working on a tunic top one year ago using a very slinky (like silk but it’s not silk) empire cut dress I bought from Zara a few years back that doesn’t fit me anymore. The material was a nightmare to manuever but it was the sleeves that killed that project, and the fit was horrendous.
Fast forward to August 2011, I decided to try out the famous Sorbetto pattern.
I changed the middle portion as you can see in the pictures. Also used self made bias binding for the hem (as well as the neckline and armholes). This was meant to be a “muslin” as I used my husband’s 2 old shirts (cotton checkered print for the back side and plain cotton sateen for the front and the binding). It turned out nice (and i made sure to practice seam finishings in the inside) and very casual that I ended up wearing it out to the farmers market the very same day :)
This pattern is very beginner friendly, and I am happy to report that I’ve taken the seam ripper to the ill fated tunic project mentioned above and turned it into another variation based on the Sorbetto. No picture of that one yet as i haven’t find the best way/material to finish the neck/armhole.
For this i used 2 old cotton shirts :)
I have tonnes of old clothes that I’ve set aside to use in my attempt to learn sewing (huge thrifted clothes, and own now-too-small clothes)… I also have a small fabric stash, but they are mostly quilting cotton…
Plan a weekend getaway in these sweater dresses and furry accessories.
Member Project of the Week
Clothingengineer made a classic trench in Pantone's 2014 color of the year. Take a look!
Fashion and Trends
Check out this post all on menswear, and see how Meg was inspired to create her own men's shirts!
Learn how to set your serger up for sewing a rolled hem in this week's new BurdaStyle Video!
Perfect the art of sewing collars and stands, including tricks you won't find in books or patterns!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.