My first Trench Coat Dress
Added Mar 25, 2012
This pattern was one one my recent purchases in the last sale from McCall’s patterns. It was on my to do list for so long. The pattern is amazing. According to the fabric you use, you can sew it for any season. I think if I cut it a little bigger next time, I can even use it as a real trench coat.
Pattern used is: McCall’s 6279. It’s a close-fitted trench coat dress pattern with at least 3 different look options.I loved everything about this pattern. It was my miscalculation of fabric and buttons that caused the headache at the beginning
Fabric Used:Lightweight denim with a gorgeous golden color on the wrong side.
This was my first attempt in sewing a trench coat, thus I had no idea how much fabric is needed for such a pattern.
Apparently, I should have bought 2 meters of fabric for this pattern… But my deficiencies in one aspect, helped me to be much creative in another!
I had to use every bit of the fabric very carefully; so, instead of sewing the hem inside, I did it vice-a-versa and ended up with a golden bias look on the outside.
Another “surprising” (!) feature of a trench coat pattern was the double fabric at the front. So, the extra fabric goes here… Since I had none, I cut napkin sized fabrics and used them at the bodice front. In order to stress the double colored feature of the fabric, I did not sew them together but left them as separate pieces. I assure you that this “genius” design was a result of lack of fabric. I didn’t have even 1 cm more to sew them together! You may find more photos and details on this project in my blog-
I highly recommend this pattern. I love working with easy to sew patterns ’cause I can make any alterations I want and end up having quite unique looks. Read more on my blog about the “creativity” resulting from my stupidity :P
2 meters of denim fabric
10 buttons (at least)