Added Oct 17, 2011
A lady squid!
5 parts: Shrug, Bustier, Over skirt / Under layer tank top, Petticoat (vintage, not handmade), Tentacle belt
1. Shrug: Used a sleeve pattern I usually use on dresses and just eye balled the back section. For future patterns I would allow more fabric in front to cover more of the arm pit area.
Red jersey – tentacle suction cups made from rosette ribbon sewn to the underside of the arms – thumb and pinky holes to keep the sleeve down – collar made from shiny reptilian looking stretch fabric stuffed with batting to stand up firmly – embellishments include rubber tentacles, velvet yo-yos, red fringe trim, sequins -
2. Bustier: Based on a vintage bustier pattern and adapted for a more modern fit.
Shiny reptilian stretch fabric – plastic boning – no lining (I probably won’t be wearing this regularly!) – separating back zip hidden by ruffles (inspired by nudibranch shapes) -
3. Over skirt & under tank top: I wanted an under layer for the bustier because I work at a toy store and will be wearing this to work on Halloween. (Not super cleavage appropriate) I also used the tank top to secure the over skirt separately from the petticoat.
Red tank top – red stretch tulle – stuffed hip bulbs made from shiny fabric matching the bustier – rubber tentacles – “seaweed” made from sheer green ribbon – shells – toy octopus – sequins
4. Vintage Petticoat: I didn’t make this, but it added a nice poofy shape and some leg coverage under the sheer over skirt. I didn’t want to sew much onto it because I might use this again for something else. (I used it last year for my pin cushion costume.)
5. Tentacle Belt: Removable from the other skirts and also height adjustable because it is separate.
Red jersey for main tentacle – white rosette decorating ribbon for suction cups – three inch wide elastic belt onto which I sewed the tentacles individually.
jersey, stretch tulle, rubber tentacles (made for wearing on fingers), sequins, elastic, poly stuffing, stretch reptilian shiny fabric, zipper, velvet, tassel by the yard, toy octopi, hot glue, thread, and random stuff like shells and vintage lace
Learn the skills you need to create a pant pattern that fits beautifully
Pattern of the Week
Show a little leg in this sexy skirt with a thigh high slit!
In this Flagship Kit for only $19.99
The kids are sure to steal the show in this charming collection of classic, elegant pieces.
Member Project of the Week
She made this dress for her high school graduation, and it looks fab!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.