Millions of Peaches Dress
Added Jun 16, 2014
“Goin’ to the country, gonna pick a lot of peaches…”
Well, maybe not millions of peaches, but there are certainly enough to justify a cheesy song reference! Made from the bodice of the ubiquitous Simplicity 2444 with a simple box pleated skirt and bias bound neckline.
I cut a size 12 to fit my shoulders (and perhaps because I accidentally ordered the wrong size!), added 2.25cm to each bodice side (10cm around), and made a 3.25cm FBA for an extra 6.5cm total in the bust. The excess width added to my front bodice was easily rotated into the two waist darts, and I kept the side dart added by the FBA process. Only a few minor adjustments were needed after the first muslin: tinkering with the dart placement, taking a 1.5cm wedge from both necklines and lowering the armscye slightly (does anybody else get a crazy-small armscye after a FBA?). In retrospect, I should have graded up to a size 14 before doing any adjustments, as there wasn’t a great deal of room to move in the back. But as my fabric has a good stretch those concerns were negated.
To accommodate the lycra content of the sateen, I did my usual fusetaping of the zip insertion area, plus used Vilene bias tape on shoulders and neckline to stop any stretching out. The waistline has narrow elastic zigzagged to the seam allowance to allow for stretch without losing shape.
You mightn’t be able to see from the photos, but the zip and pockets are in a fabulously clashing shade of yellow. The zip came with a hook and eye attached to the top! I love it.
2.4m peaches print sateen with lycra from Spotlight retro collection, Whisperweft interfacing from Lincraft, store bought bias tape and lemon dress zip (both from Salvo’s) Vilene bias tape, clear elastic