Added Nov 3, 2010
Well, Ington., N...
I made this dress for a Joan Holloway costume. I used New Look 6968 with sleeves and the collar. I have a few difficulties with the collar – the entire neckline was way too bulky, with a lining, a collar, and interfacing? So I removed the interfacing and inserted the collar between the lining and the outer fabric. That made the collar lie flatter, but I still have no idea how to attach/tie the collar. It seems like you’re supposed to make some kind of “loop”, but how to do that was unclear. I tried to just tie the collar in some kind of bow, but it really doesn’t work. I have literally spent 15 minutes trying to tie the collar to look decent every time I put this dress on, and I just give up. I am going to try to sew it into a bow.
Also, the measurements on the pattern envelope were very inaccurate. I actually measured myself, and though I normally wear a size 12, based on my measurements, I decided to make an 18. It was huge! especially the sleeves and the back, they were just gaping. I also had to take the waist in and the hips in a lot.
Anyway, I think it’s a nice dress that I will wear a lot, so I don’t mind that I had to re-do several parts of it.
Cotton with some kind of silicon coating from Global fabrics.
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.