Added Feb 19, 2011
I created this top to wear to a concert which I was attending. Actually, I whipped it up the night before the concert (procrastination).
I used the pattern BUTTERICK 5562, View B to make it. The funny part of the story is that when I laid out my fabric, I realized I was short about 6 inches of material and that the pattern was sticking off of the fabric. So, the contrasting velvet side-stripes were born. Necessity is the mother of invention. I cut the pattern pieces about 1 inch thinner on the sides and cut out a strip of contrasting fabric about 1" wide (plus seam allowances). Then I sewed the strips to the sides of the top to make up for the missing fabric. The same thing happened when I went to cut out the sleeves. I just didn’t have enough fabric to make them in one color; but my mind was set on long sleeves, so I added the velvet to the bottom of the arm.
The squared-off design on the bodice of the top was made using doublesided 5/8" wide velvet ribbon, which I stitched down with my machine.
I love the rusching on the sides of the sleeves, because it reminds me of vintage sleeves from the 1930’s/40’s/50’s. Overall, I like the way the project turned out.
For the main body of the top, I used heathered black stretch tshirt knit. For the stripes on the side of the body & the lower arm sections, I used 2-way stretch velvet in black. The lines on the front of the top are made of doublesided 5/8" black velvet ribbon.
Take a trip down the aisle in these gorgeous gowns, or change the fabrics for a spring party dress.
Fashion & Trends
See a few of our favorite looks, and the Burda patterns we're inspired to make!
It's time to enter for our grand prize, an EX100 machine PLUS a trip to Nashville!
Pattern of the Week
A body skimming shift goes mod with graphic stripes and square neckline!
Three videos, a web seminar, and five patterns help you master stretchy stitching.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.