Added Dec 9, 2010
Brooklyn, New Yo...
My version of the Angela Kane pinafore.
The denim was fabric I have had in my stash for over 10 years. I never knew what to do with it, but then I saw this pattern and saw that Angela’s samples in her video tutorials were made from denim, and I knew I had finally found the pattern for this fabric.
I made the size Medium, but I wasn’t sure about the overall fit since it was S-M-L and I was on the larger end of the Medium spectrum, so I cut it with 1 inch side seam allowances so I would be able to adjust. I ended up not needing the extra in the bust, just the hips.
I also added 2 inches in length to the skirt (1" to the hip length & 1" to the hem) and 1 inch to the bodice. I think it was about 1/4" too much in the bodice. I should have just added another inch to the skirt instead, but overall I am pleased with the fit.
- I added center back vent facings. I just extended the pattern at the bottom edge by 1 1/2" and then angled it back into the CB seam 8 inches up. I mitered the bottom of the vent to the hem.
- I used bias tape to bind the neckline and armhole seam allowances. This also helped control the excess length that I found in the front armhole. I first stay stitched the seam allowances to help control the armhole shape and prevent stretching.
- I decided to use my favorite Riri zippers and apply it so it would be exposed. I topstitched in one pass from the top neck down the center back, out over the vent facings, around the hem, and back up the other side of the center back.
- I didn’t have a lot of extra fabric and I wasn’t sure about what extra details I should add. My sister’s opinion was that the fabric made my version a bit less sporty and casual and I should not do the pockets. I took her advice and then decided to make a self fabric belt with the remnants. I used a square faux tortoise slider belt buckle that I got at one of my favorite trim shops and I backed the belt with 1" wide blue cotton twill. My top stitching isn’t perfect at the ends, but I am very pleased with how easy the construction of the belt was.
For this project, I only purchased the zipper ($12) and the bias tape ($2). Everything else was already in my stash. I love it when I am able to mostly get by with things on hand, and using old stash gives me a big thrill (because now I can justify buying more fabric!)
Over all I am very pleased with my new dress. I can’t wait to make it in a lighter fabric for the spring, and I look forward to trying some more of Angela Kane’s patterns.
Denim, black topstitching thread, Riri zipper (bronze teeth, black cotton tape), cotton twill tape, purchased bias tape, plastic slider belt buckle.
Add to Favorites 9 people added it
Fashion & Trends
A refresher course on some of this season's top runway trends.
One of the most beloved American designers passed last night. We look back at a few of his designs.
Fashion & Trends
Shop top selling silk patterns, just in time for Thursday's web seminar.
Dress up outerwear with deep shawl collars and sew up a lovely fitted dress with a flounced hemline.
Comment To Win
Share your top fabric care tips for a chance to be in the magazine, and to get the issue for free!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.