April Showers

Added Apr 18, 2013

by Anne Wagenha...

Warwickshire, Un...

Twitter_pic_thumb

Views

1045

Dsc02646-1_large

Description

This dress is made using a vintage Simplicity pattern, no 7118 from 1967. The fabrics came from my stash, the gingham is a stretch twill left over from some shorts made about 5 or more years ago, and the blue is a linen that used to be fucshia pink. We had no need for that colour, so I popped it into the washing machine with some Dylon & hey presto!

I have added shaping to the dress. I took the side seams in from the underarm to the waist, fading back to the original line at the hip. Although the drawing on the envelope shows it being a little more shapely, it was quite baggy on Daughter No2. I also increased the darts in the back and made a shaped back seam. At a request from my daughter I also lopped 15cm off the hem. Again, the sketch on the envelope shows the dress ending just above the knee, on my 1.78m tall daughter this dress was well below the knee! We love this dress, and I will definitely be making her at least one more for the summer!

Material Notes

Stretch gingham twill & linen.

Difficulty

Intermediate

Categories

Season
Spring, Summer
For
Women
Garment Type
Dress
Style
Vintage
Material
Linen

4 Comments Sign in to add a post

  • Img_5396_large

    Apr 21, 2013, 11.26 AMby pampula

    Simply lovely!

    1 Reply
  • Image_large

    Apr 19, 2013, 02.15 PMby balllisaann

    Great job. It looks so comfy and wearable. She’ll get lots of use out of it.

    1 Reply
    • Twitter_pic_large

      Apr 21, 2013, 10.14 PMby Anne Wagenhauser

      Thanks, I sure hope so! Fingers crossed we actually have a summer in which to wear it this year! :)

  • Sc20140213-172446-1_large

    Apr 18, 2013, 09.13 PMby Mary Athey

    lovely dress, both fabrics are fab to.gether x

    1 Reply
    • Twitter_pic_large

      Apr 21, 2013, 10.15 PMby Anne Wagenhauser

      Thanks Mary, it is a relief to be able to use stuff from the stash!

  • P10707190_1_large

    Apr 18, 2013, 05.09 PMby chased-away

    This dress looks great on your daughter and I love it! To make it just a bit more interesting I would have added those pockets using the gingham fabric. :)

    1 Reply
    • Twitter_pic_large

      Apr 18, 2013, 06.49 PMby Anne Wagenhauser

      We had the pockets, then removed them, in both fabrics! Just didn’t like them. shrug

    • This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Add to Favorites 5 people added it

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//projects/april-showers--2