Added Jun 27, 2011
This was made using Butterick 5209 which is a 1947 re-print. I found this cotton viscose in my local fabric shop, and after wondering around a few times it still caught my eye so I took it home with me! The pattern is so easy to use, and I would recommend it to anyone. I was lucky enough to not need any altering during construction, although it slightly strange to have a side zipper as I’m used to having them in the back, so I might change this next time. I found the fabric really pleasant to work with considering it’s one of those ‘slippery’ fabrics, and I love the print. The only little thing I have noticed, which I’m sure you do too, is that the front yoke is ever so slightly off kilter causing the stripes to not meet. Alas, you live & you learn!
I decided not to line the dress, as the material is reasonably thick and I wanted it to be as airy as possible ready for summer.
I wore this on a recent day out to the Historic Dockyards in Portsmouth, where we got to look around the old Naval ships, very appropriate I thought!
Read more about how I made this on my blog
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this guide all about mini closure solutions!
Take a trip down the aisle in these gorgeous gowns, or change the fabrics for a spring party dress.
Fashion & Trends
See a few of our favorite looks, and the Burda patterns we're inspired to make!
It's time to enter for our grand prize, an EX100 machine PLUS a trip to Nashville!
Pattern of the Week
A body skimming shift goes mod with graphic stripes and square neckline!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.