1960's Robin Superhero Costume Vest
Added May 18, 2011
My sister wanted to be a girl version of Robin from the 1960’s Batman show for Halloween in 2010. So I made her the red vest-type thing for her costume. I used the Butterick 4827 pattern, view A. I cut the dress short, raised the neckline, and drafted the scallop hem with a bowl from the kitchen. I made a muslin so I could take it in and fit it just perfectly on her. Then I used the muslin pieces as my pattern to cut out the fabric. I lined the vest with flannel so it would be warm on the chilly halloween night. I put a seperating zipper in the back, instead of a lacing like the pattern called for.
I used singlefold bias tape that I dyed bright yellow for the faux “lacings” on the front of the vest. I printed out the design for the “R” emblem from my computer, and cut it out for a pattern. I cut the black felt circle out first, then the yellow R. I sewed the letter to the circle and then sewed the whole thing to the left side of the vest.
I think it looks really good. I also made the black vinyl mask. By the way, my mom made the yellow satin cape and the shorts; and my sister made the gloves. The shirt underneath was store bought. The belt was a collaborative effort between me and sis. The gold center is a wood piece glued on a plastic belt buckle, and the little cylinders are clothespins painted gold. I thought of the clothespin idea out of nowhere when I was tossing and turning one night, haha!
1 yard red bottomweight cotton, 1 yard red flannel for lining, 1/2 yard single fold bias tape, 1 black felt sheet, 1 yellow felt sheet, yellow dye, 1 seperating zipper, thread.