Added Mar 8, 2010
Once upon a time, I came across a 1950’s dress pattern: tight fitting, sweetheart neckline, cap sleeves, with full skirt from waistline; several sizes too big; pattern pieces in very poor condition… But I knew there was potential! Not long before I had found vibrant floral print cotton, which was begging to become something tasteful and 50’s… I decided that the right thing to do was to make an ultra-feminine blouse!
I kept the idea for the bodice of the dress – i.e. tight fitting, sweetheart neckline and cap sleeves – and added a slight peplum (to accentuate curves, of course). I also remodelled the side closure to a back closure via zipper, and added some petite black vintage buttons (thank you, mum!) to the front seam for a button-down facade.
This was a relatively easy project, with the most time consuming element being the hand sewing of neckline facing and sleeve edges.
I teamed this blouse with a navy polka dot A-line skirt (which I modified to be high waisted, with soft pleats) and navy vintage 40’s heels.
Very very happy with this one!
It also prompted me to make a similar blouse – re-using an unwanted cotton pillowcase with a beautiful purple/blue orchid print, with a more pronounced peplum. Will post this one soon if anyone’s interested :)
Floral printed cotton, second hand zipper, vintage buttons
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
Register today and get 20% off with a coupon code
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Check out the top four finalists, and vote on your favorite dress
Check out these new 2015 patterns and cozy up to these wintery designs
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.