Added Sep 20, 2011
San Diego Area, ...
I made this dress for the Art Deco Festival on the Queen Mary.
The pattern I used was vintage from 1935, McCall 8139. I love the unexpected low back on this dress.
I was originally going to make this in a solid but changed my mind, inspired by the plaid used on one of the illustrations on the pattern cover. The body of the dress is a vintage cotton fabric which is printed with a bias plaid design (the dress is cut on straight of grain). It was a bit of a pain to match the plaid for the seams, but I had been holding onto the fabric forever waiting for the right project to come along and I’m glad I put in the extra effort when making this dress. The collar is a new white cotton pique. The collar is trimmed in a red braid, and the pocket flaps are decorated with vintage red plastic buttons. The belt was purchased from a thrift store.
More photos from the event are on my blog here
For the body of the dress: a vintage cotton print
For the collar: a new white cotton pique
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
The lines of Greek architecture inspire this neutral and pastel collection.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.