Added Oct 27, 2012
I am in love with the Victorian Era of fashions, I have collection about 500 images of Victorian fashion plates, I decided I needed to sew myself a Victorian outfit, even though I have no where to wear it.
The Bodice and Overskirt is made from Burgandy Embroidered Poly Taffeta. The underskirt is made from Two Tone Black Poly Taffeta. There is about 10 yards of double layered organza ribbon lace on the skirt, as well as on the bodice front and sleeves.
In my description, I forgot to mention that there are 3 rows of Pleats, each row is 7" tall, and each row of Pleats requires 7 widths of fabric x 7" tall. Eg: my fabric was 60" wide, so I cut and sewed end to end 7 pieces of fabric, 60″ × 7″, then pressed and roll hemmed one long edge, I then pleated by hand with pins and an iron, (I have since made a pleater board to speed this process up) after I pleated them I surged the top edge to hold the pleats and finish the edges as Taffeta frays badly.
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
The lines of Greek architecture inspire this neutral and pastel collection.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.