Hi all,

I’m quite a newbie and thought I’d like to make the Jakob shirt as a gift for my boyfriend (attempt to at least!). From the sizing guide he’s lining up to be a size 46, however the sizes available for this pattern is 48-58. In terms of adjusting the pattern for a 46, is it as simple as drawing a line a centimeter or so from the 48?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2v2wmev_large

2 Posts Sign in to add a post

• 67f2c04548980ff46226d7497d8692937bd29f9b_large

Feb 12, 2013, 11.40 AMby dare

Hi Karenco,

I think there would be three measurements to check if you were adjusting the Jakob.

1) The sides, as you’ve said. You can check by measuring your bf’s chest and measuring off the pattern (don’t forget seam allowances). 2) The shoulders. Measure your bf’s shoulders (across his back) and measure off the pattern’s back yoke to check. This will make sure the shirt wont sag off his shoulders. 3) The neck. Use the collar stand, (button hole to button) to measure agains your bf’s neck circumference. Make sure to allow some ease on his neck so that he can still breathe when its done up!

When you look at the sizing markings on each pattern piece you will see that some lines adjust for size and some dont need to. Don’t adjust lines where you dont have to (i.e. don’t just take 1 cm off the entire outside of each pattern piece).

If you need to make adjustments to one piece remember to check those adjustments on the matching seam pieces.

The Jakob pattern is fairly resiliant in its construction process.

Best of luck!

Denise

• 20596winter_20fairy_large

Feb 12, 2013, 11.48 AMby sewingfan1

In addition to above post, when you cut out your pattern pieces, if you have the markings on there for the 48 and the 50 for example, you’ll be able to see the distances between the sizes (eg on some parts of the sleeve the difference will be almost unnoticable, at other points, like the side seams, it could be up to 1cm difference) just re-mark for a size 46 following the markings for the 48 at the same distance that they are from the 50 all round. Does that make sense? It’s not the easiest think to actually explain in writing.

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/jakob-6013-size-alternation--2