BurdaStyle

Dsc_9991b_large

1 / 1

Good evening Burdastyle! How I have neglected you over the past months.. and how good it feels to be back! Since our last rendezvous, I’ve been keeping myself very busy with a plethora of sewing projects. This little ensemble is one of the most recent. So, here goes…

I found the brown tartan fabric and the green fabric over a couple of consective days of op shopping, and knew straight away that they would be best friends. The colour pairing here wouldn’t be an obvious choice for me under normal circumstances, but somehow it made sense this time. The idea just clicked in my mind… Anyway, I made the skirt first – it’s a fairly tried-n-true pencil skirt pattern with the usual loveable features – high waist, wide waistband, soft pleats at the front, kick pleat at the back; with the usual alterations – shortening the overall length and tapering the bottom slightly to get the ‘pencil’ shape. BUT there’s one additional feature that I fell in love with here, and that’s the wide belt loops at the front, with nice big shiny buttons. Delicious!

As for the jacket, I’ve been meaning to use a 1930’s jacket pattern that I had had lying around now for some time, and this was the perfect opportunity to do so. I wanted to make something that would work as a functional jacket (i.e. keep me warm – which, was tested out in Melbs weather and passed the test with flying colours!) but also reveal the new skirt’s waistband. Since the pattern was already a ‘cropped’ style, the latter criterion was easily fulfilled. To address the warmth aspect, I lengthened the sleeves slightly and lined the jacket with a comfortable layer of black t-shirt fabric. Success!

I liked the idea of using the same buttons for the jacket as I did for the skirt, and wanted them to be seen on the sleeves as well, so I added some simple pointed cuff details, which I couldn’t be happier with!

The jacket is double breasted, with inner unseen press studs to keep the layers even and the outer buttons, one row of which are falsies. I’ve made so many bound buttonholes now that this component no longer really bothers me; however, I think the trickiest part of the project was probably correctly aligning the inner press studs so that the front of the jacket stayed together neatly. I had to stitch and unpick, and then restitch to get that bit sitting right.

When all had been made, I realised that the forest green turban I crocheted a while back (http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/40s-era-turban) was almost identical to the green on the jacket! Woohoo, ready-made hat!

I think overall the ensemble has a very 50’s/60’s feel to it. Regardless, I feel so good wearing this little outfit!! Hooray for sewing :)

Close