1 / 19

Shirtwaste is a study on sustainable design and patterning through upcycling. The original concept for the garment came from Edwardian “Shirtwaist” blouses, but with a futuristic view. Overall, 60% of the dress was constructed using purchased and donated men’s blue button down shirts. The remaining 40% was purchased in the form of men’s shirting fabric.

The leg of mutton sleeves from the Edwardian period was replaced with a dramatic and futuristic version. The waist is emphasized with a corset look and pleating. The fabric upcycled from men’s shirts proved to be unstable and a challenge. Any fabric from these shirts was interfaced with a lightweight type to help provide structure. The hem has horse hair trim in it to help avoid collapsing.