Learn How SIMPLE
Digital Patterns Really Are!

Sign Up to Receive
The Ultimate Guide to Digital Sewing Patterns eBook + a FREE Skirt Pattern!

Polka dot piped blouse

Added Apr 18, 2011

by ncn6

Ithaca, New York...






This shirt is actually a remake of a shirt I made some time ago, one of my first blouse attempts. I loved the idea, but the first version suffered from a few issues that made it uncomfortable to wear, namely: too big in the shoulders and gaping neckline, not big enough in the waist so it was tight when I sat down, and I used crappy quality quilting cotton (terrible beginner’s mistake, I know) which made it stiff.

This new attempt is made from a bit of a frankenpattern, which combines the bodice of the JJ pattern, the sleeves of the Ute pattern, and a self-drafted collar. I started with a 40 bodice and did a FBA, adding to both the side and front panel to try to get that seam right over the bust. Since the piping attracts a lot of attention to the seam line, I wanted to make sure I got the placement right. In retrospect, I wish I’d done armhole princess seams, because I think that the shape would have been even more flattering with the white piping.

I was originally planning to modify the Ute collar, but after fiddling with it I decided to just draft my own. I really wanted to make sure that this shirt would end up being work appropriate (i.e., not too low cut), and I just wasn’t trusting that Burda neckline! Once again, this vintage sewing guide proved very helpful. The little trick about adding 1/8 inch to the neck seam to get a nice roll on the collar worked perfectly for me.

Comments on the fit are very welcome — I’m trying to develop some basic personalized patterns and sometimes it’s difficult to troubleshoot fitting issues on yourself!

More details on my blog.

Material Notes

Lightweight cotton, piping




Garment Type

4 Comments Sign in to add a post

    • This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Add to Favorites 13 people added it

This project is based on