Learn How SIMPLE
Digital Patterns Really Are!

Sign Up to Receive
The Ultimate Guide to Digital Sewing Patterns eBook + a FREE Skirt Pattern!

I have a dress that I would love to re-create. Shown here http://pinterest.com/pin/196751077442802266/
It has an unusual draped/tucked hem and i was wondering if this style had a name. The hem is folded under by 20 cms and then is sewn vertically 5cms down every 25cm gap across. It makes a lovely effect and I would like to find a pattern to follow. I thought that if I knew what to search for .Any help would be appreciated.


4 Posts Sign in to add a post

  • 10th_aug_on_holiday_large

    Jan 24, 2013, 10.04 AMby katensew

    Sorry I don’t know the technical name but I used it once on the hem of blinds ! I sort of ruched up and attached the bottom edge about 8cms up. That doecn’t really make much sense ? But it might give an idea.

  • Missing

    Jan 25, 2013, 09.20 PMby mpedersen1

    I’m pretty sure they’re called pick ups. I would search for that.

    1 Reply
    • Missing

      Jan 27, 2013, 10.46 AMby SewSarah1

      Yes, I would say pick ups describes the effect. I’ve had a quick look and I cant find much. Its such a pretty look on the dress, I cant believe its not more commonly done.

  • Sgs_logo_symbol_large

    Jan 26, 2013, 02.44 PMby sewmodest

    It looks like a bubble hem. A bubble hem is formed when the lower part of the dress is sewn to a lining that is shorter than the dress which causes the hem to be pulled under and bubble.

    2 Replies
    • Missing

      Jan 27, 2013, 02.37 AMby arisaid

      That would be a double bubble!!! lol

    • Missing

      Jan 27, 2013, 10.55 AMby SewSarah1

      It does look like a bubble dress but I know how to do that and its not quite the same. I may just give up on this dress and make her a bubble dress instead. Thanks anyway.

  • Missing

    Jan 28, 2013, 01.40 AMby arisaid

    Looks a bit like Continental curtains

    • This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts