Learn How SIMPLE
Digital Patterns Really Are!

Sign Up to Receive
The Ultimate Guide to Digital Sewing Patterns eBook + a FREE Skirt Pattern!

I’ve gotten interested in belts, especially fabric belts – there seems to be an endless variety of them in so many different variations and styles. I have made belts using D-ring clostures and belt buckles, but I am interested in exploring other types of closure. What closures to you all use? I’ve been thinking about eyelet and tie, like a corset, and hook-and-eyelet also. What I like about the D-ring is it cinches in to the actual waist size, whereas hook-and-eyelet require that one knows what the waist is (and that it doesn’t change much). Eyelet and ties are messy to do up, but are very cool to look at. What other choices do folks work with?


3 Posts Sign in to add a post

  • Photo_15_large

    Jun 3, 2010, 02.51 PMby 6kidsathome

    I was looking to make a belt without a lot of trouble to go with a dress. Joanne fabrics did not have any nice closures and the D rings are nice because the size does adjust but as a woman sits and gets up again the D rings tend to loosen and makes it so you have to constantly pull them tight again. So, out of impatience I realized that my dog collar had simple belt closures, so I went to the dollar store went and got two belts and will take them apart to use for a double closure belt. Hopefully. But in a pinch for something quick there are some cute buckles for animals.

    1 Reply
    • Photoge01_large

      Jun 3, 2010, 03.49 PMby gedwoods

      You’re right about the D ring – I have one on my Trench and it does the same thing, it loosens up and has to be re-tightened constantly. What we need is a D ring with “sticking power”. Something for the designers/engineers?

  • 2248651388_b7dff371cd_large

    Jun 3, 2010, 07.28 PMby victors

    I like belts that have a row of holes which you then slip round bits into and it ‘locks’ it in place. I don’t know the name of them but they don’t accidentally come open. The holey part looks like a knuckle duster. UK nurses used to wear them… found this for reference http://www.acombbrides.co.uk/Nurse%20belts.htm

  • 970316_10201865009255816_2084508514_n_large

    Jun 4, 2010, 06.50 AMby lclausewitz

    O-rings? Like the D-ring but with only one ring and it’s usually circular rather than rectangular or D-shaped. Google “SCA belt” for examples.

    • This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts