Ultguide_webbanner_218x126

Learn How SIMPLE
Digital Patterns Really Are!

The Ultimate Guide to Digital Sewing Patterns eBook + a FREE Skirt Pattern!

I want to make the Burda 2/2016 blouse 118 (in size 38/Medium), but my waist measurement is so much wider than the one on the Burda size chart, that I need to alter the pattern in order not to look pregnant (I am not). I am unsure if I should make only one of or all of the front panels wider, or also the back panels? I still want the blouse to sit nicely. Advice please?

Missing

2 Posts Sign in to add a post

• Img_5535_large

Aug 27, 2019, 12.57 PMby SewItsWritten

I can relate, my waist measurement is normally a size above my bust and hip measurements so I always do some altering to the pattern. I start by distributing the added ease into the seams evenly and then make a mock-up (toile/muslin) before cutting into my chosen fabric using a like fiber in something super cheap so I’m not wasting money on my practice run and there’s now worry about getting it wrong the first go-around.

I don’t see a picture of the design you are making, but another thing to keep in mind is body shape and design proportions. Some things just look more flattering than others, so even though I love a full skirt, I really can’t pull it off on my short 5’2" curvy frame. I go with a slim fitted skirt and tops that flow or skim the body but don’t hug it. I’ve found what shapes work best for my frame and stick to those so I have less disappointment with my finished projects. Success starts even before you cut the fabric! It’s choosing the styles that compliment your figure. Burda, thankfully, has you covered with stylish patterns; you can’t go wrong!

Best of luck! Share a picture of your finished blouse, I’d love to see it. And feel free to message me if you run into anything you need help with.

~Tillie

• Me1_large

Sep 5, 2019, 12.34 AMby mbuchanan1

Burda Style patterns have a lot of ease, so measure the pattern pieces and compare to your body measurements before making any change. If you still want to make the waist area larger, add to all panels evenly, including the back pieces, unless you carry all the weight in the front.

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts