Ultguide_webbanner_218x126

Learn How SIMPLE
Digital Patterns Really Are!

Sign Up to Receive
The Ultimate Guide to Digital Sewing Patterns eBook + a FREE Skirt Pattern!

Body_suit_main_large

Sorry for the delayed start to my June Mash Up, I was super busy prepping for our next sew-along which I’m filming soon – and make sure to register for our current one here before July 4th to get in for free! Last month was a jumpsuit, and this month is a bodysuit. Just can’t seem to escape these one piece wonders that BurdaStyle are releasing. As soon as I saw this bodysuit I knew it had to be my Mash Up, and this week I get it all started and finish the front knot…

Fabric


When I decided to make this pattern in my Burda Challenge Round Up post I knew the fabric had to be special as well. I spent a good 30 min in the stretch section of my local fabric store deciding which fabric to choose, and then ended up with this gorgeous green lycra. I love the ribbing and the deep olive color, and best of all it is super stretchy!

Pattern


For the pattern I cut a size 36 – as I find that Burda patterns for stretch fabrics fit a little large. I added 3/8" seam allowance to all edges as I’m sewing the seams with Coats & Clark Eloflex thread, which I’m totally obsessed with. For our swimwear sew-along I used this thread to construct the swimsuits and it just worked great especially for fine details in stretch patterns like the knot in this bodysuit pattern.

Cutting out


I cut all the pieces with the direction of greatest stretch going across the body on each pattern piece, but for the side panty pieces #27 & #29 I rotated the pieces for a slight “control” aspect as well as play the direction of the ribbing lines for visual interest.

Step 1


First things first – the darts! I pinned each bust dart on the under front bodice piece in place, right sides together. Since I don’t like to use a tracing wheel and paper on stretch fabrics, I used my frixion pens and a ruler to mark my dart legs.

Step 2


I sewed my darts from the edge and knotted at my dart tips.

Step 3


Now for the fun part! I grabbed my lower front bodice pieces #22 and pinned the center front seam from the lowed edge to the first slit notch.

Step 4


Here is another vertical view. This seam is why using a regular sewing matching and stretch thread is the best, since with sergers it is hard to backstitch, etc.

Step 5


I started at the slit notch and backstitched using a straight stitch, no need for a special zig-zag or stretch stitch with this thread. This Mash Up is not honestly even sponsored, I just love this thread so much. But if you want to see it in action, register here for free for this sew-along!

Step 6


Next was to separate the top parts of piece #22 above the slit marks.

Step 7


I flipped my piece so the right side of my fabric was facing up and flipped the right portion down matching up seam #1, and then pinned from the side edge to the slit notches.

Step 8


I sewed together, backstitching at the slit notches.

Step 9


With the right side sewn, I grabbed the other left portion of my piece #22…

Step 10


…and lifted up the sewn right section to insert the left into the right through the slit notches.

Step 11


I pulled all the way through to create the knot.

Step 12


Once it is pulled through, I pinned from the side edge (seam #1) to the slit notch just as I did for the right side.

Step 13


I stitched together and flipped up, then Voila!!!

Step 14


Love the look of this knot and how easy it was to sew.

Step 15


Next I took my strap pieces #23 and folded them wrong sides together along the fold line on the pattern.

Step 16


I flipped down and pinned in place to the top edge of my front knotted piece according to the notches.

Step 17


Then I basted in place inside my seam allowance.

Step 18


With my folded straps still down on my knotted front, I took my darted front bodice piece, and pinned it right sides together along the top neckline edge.

Step 19


I only pinned to the notches close to the center front V to accommodate the knot.

Step 20


Then I only sewed/backstitched to these points as well. Note: the straps get sandwiched in between these two front layers.

Step 21


Once sewn, I flipped to the right side and now my neckline is perfectly finished with the straps!

Step 22


To secure the front bodice pieces to act as one layer, I pinned around the edges with the wrong sides together.

Step 23


Then basted the layers together inside my seam allowance.

Step 24


I started and stopped my basting at the folded edge of my shoulder seam.

Well that completes part one of my June bodysuit Mash Up! Sew along with me and download the digital pattern here.

Happy Sewing! Who else is tackling this bodysuit pattern?

Meg Healy Blog Signature

2 Comments

  • 14068034_135319130246121_8021992384150354119_n_large

    2 days ago, 10.12 PMby Anne-Berit

    bravo for the explanation and good photoes. Unfortunately I did not watch it before now- after having sewn my own bodysuit

  • Logo4957b_large

    Jun 14, 2018, 10.06 PMby jenss-1

    I’m looking forward to part 2…

    • This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Departments

  • Editors' Pick
  • Pattern Collections
  • BurdaStyle Academy
  • Burda Challenge
  • Backstage Report
  • Fashion & Trends
  • DIY to Try
  • Tips & Techniques
  • Member Highlights
  • Sewing Projects
  • Outta Town
  • Contests & Competitions
  • Archive
  • Guest Columns
  • Videos
  • Meg's Magazine Mash Up
  • As Seen In
  • Podcast
  • Holiday