Knitwear Patternmaking: Transforming Woven Patterns For Stretch Fabrics
At a glance
You’ll learn how to take a pattern designed for a woven, non-stretch fabric
Modify the pattern to be sewn in any type of knit
Various types of knits, and how to choose the right fabric for your project.
Add to Cart
There’s a reason knitwear is so popular in today’s fashion world. Stretch fabrics eliminate many of the challenges we face with woven fabrics when it comes to finding that perfect fit. You don’t have to worry about a garment feeling too tight one day or a little loose the next!
While most patterns are designed with a certain fabric type in mind, you don’t have to stick with knitwear patterns to sew with knits. Why not sew a leather skirt in spandex or a bustier in stretch cotton?
After this web seminar, you’ll be able to do just that! You’ll learn how to take a pattern designed for a woven, non-stretch fabric, and modify it to be sewn in any type of knit.
What you’ll learn:
- All about sewing ease and how it applies to pattern drafting
- The various types of knits, and how to choose the right fabric for your project
- How to determine a fabric’s stretch and recovery qualities
- How to remove darts from woven patterns
- How to calculate negative ease percentage to reduce your pattern
- Fitting adjustments specific to knitwear patterns
Who Should Attend:
- Anyone interested in working with knit fabrics
- Anyone wanting to learn more about stretch patternmaking
- Those interested in learning advanced drafting skills
This web seminar is best suited to sewers with existing knowledge and understanding of pattern drafting techniques.
About the Instructor:
Alana Walsh is a recent fashion design graduate and the newly appointed Assistant Editor of BurdaStyle US Magazine. A long-time sewer and knitwear enthusiast, Alana has worked in costume design for theatre and film; designed uniforms for sports teams and athletes; and started her own line of made-to-measure knitwear designs. Alana’s diverse experience in the fashion industry has given her unique insight into patternmaking and design, which she is excited to share with the BurdaStyle community!
This is a recording of a previously presented, powerpoint-style live-streamed web seminar.
BurdaStyle does not offer any refunds for web seminar recordings. All sales are final. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions about the content of the recording.
Add to Cart