NEW BurdaStyle
Best of Blogging List!

Subscribe to our FREE digital newsletter and
receive the new Top 50 Bloggers List for
sewing, fashion and craft enthusiasts!


This is a stiff ribbed ribbon, used to reinforce e.g. waistbands, bind corset edges or hat brims, or even as a foundation for neck ruff. Named after Lord Petersham, a military officer in the 19th century. Petersham is often confused with grosgrain ribbon but the important difference is that the petersham has a scalloped edge which allows you to shape the ribbon. Usually made out of 100% Rayon.

2 Comments Sign in to add a post

  • Missing

    Jan 8, 2016, 04.25 AMby Fasttrack

    It is interesting to know about Petersham ribbon. I have never heard of this ribbon. The corrugated design gives a title loans special look for this ribbon and I think it can be used in frocks. Thanks a lot for sharing this info.

  • Img_0903_large

    Jun 24, 2013, 06.46 PMby sandrinka

    Hi, do you have any instruction or video on how to apply Petersham ribbon onto a collar or sleeve’s seam? Thanks Sandrinka

    • This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post