Added Sep 20, 2011
This is where it gets fun! Now that you have perfect short little jean short cutoffs, it's time to dye them a vibrant color so that you can really show off your unique creation.
1. Fill bucket with warm water - approximately 2 or 3 gallons.
2. Place jean short cutoffs in the water so that they are completely saturated
3. Pour 1/4 cup salt into water
4. Pour 3 tsp garment dye - color is your choice - into the bucket of water.
5. Stir the jean shorts and water so that color is well dispersed.
6. Let the jean shorts soak in the dye water for 20 minutes.
7. After 20 minutes, add a 1/3 cup of dye activator (soda dye fixer) to the dye water.
8. Stir the dye water and let the jean shorts process in the solution for approximately 1 hour.
9. After 1 hour, dump the bucket and thoroughly rinse the jean shorts - being careful not to splash other surfaces.
10. Move dyed jean shorts promptly to the washing machine and let them run through 1 cycle so that all excess dye is removed.
NOTE: Do not use bare hands like I did - you will dye your hands...make sure to use plastic gloves!
Pattern of the Week
The oversized shape has a cool bell shaped silhouette with a wide body and fitted sleeves
Stock up on our favorite BurdaStyle patterns sewn in white!
Learn How to Sew Knits Successfully With a Sewing Machine
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.