Added Mar 3, 2011
Millburn, New Je...
1. With right sides facing, sew together the side seams and shoulder seams of the shell and then the lining, making sure to reinforce accordingly with backstitching at each end. I like to reinforce all seams with the zig zag stitch, especially near the armpits.
2. Put together self lined pockets. a.With right sides facing, sew together the pocket exterior to the pocket lining with 1/4 inch seam, leaving a small opening at the bottom. b. Snip the corners, and turn the pocket out. c. Top stitch across the top edge of the pocket.
3. Place and sew on your pockets. On the right side of the shell place your pockets so that they line up properly, and then sew them on, making sure to reinforce the top edges.
4. Assemble the sleeves. If you would like to add the faux cuffs, see the figure labeled "Optional cuff" at the bottom of this post. Otherwise, prepare your sleeves and then pin and sew them onto the body of the shell and lining. Once the sleeves are ready, you can insert the lining into the shell of the jacket. Try to evenly distribute the fabric, making sure there are no lumps, and then pin at the shoulders and lapel.
5. Assemble your facings. Sew together the front facings to the back facing at the shoulders.
6. Press 1/4" of the facing over along its edge.
Fashion & Trends
Swoon for these gorgeous dresses straight off the runway!
Member Project of the Week
See how just a piece of sheer satin transforms this beginner friendly dress!
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this step-by-step on sewing our wrapped and pleated mini skirt
What do you think of these summery styles?
Check out the debut of this lovely designer style pattern with angular pleats
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.