1 / 1226
From the moment I went to school for Fashion Design, I have always wanted to make a proper corset. In fact, when looking at schools, I was promised that making a corset was part of the curriculum. Sadly, classes and policies changed my freshman year, and this project was taken out. Now a year out of school, I finally decided it was time to just figure it out on my own. There were basic instructions in my pattern making textbook, so I drafted this underbust corset. Since I wanted to use a busk and steel boning, I decided to start with an underbust corset to test the waters.
I have had to brocade fabric for some time now (I bought four yards of it), but I never used it, for I was waiting for a special project. It was just what I needed for a tester. I did line the corset with a rayon challis that I had leftover from my 5 Tiered Skirt project. I used spring steel for most of the channels, though I used spiral steel in the side seams (I so wanted to know how this whole spiral steel thing worked). Most of this project went smoothly; I only remember one evening of extreme cursing when first applying the boning. Also, my needle only hit the boning when I applied the binding ( the boning I bought for the back was too long). Overall, I am psyched with the outcome.