1 / 557
Since my sewing time is so limited nowadays (work+laziness = unproductive!), I always look for projects that give instant gratification, like this clutch, or so I thought…..
I followed this clutch instructions from Studs and Buttonholes, who is so awesome at making cool, fashion-forward DIYs. So, I measured (eyeballed), cut, sew and realised I didn’t have the right zipper for the clutch so this project dragged on for weeks until I found the time to go to the haberdashery and get a nice zipper for it and done!
Fabric used is a traditional songket fabric with gorgeous, bold, gold threads everywhere that I bought for less than USD 3 for half a yard but silly me didn’t realise that I didn’t buy enough yardage to have the flowers right in the center for the size of the clutch I want. That is why the main flowers are slightly off-center, if you noticed. The edges fray like mad too; such is the nature of traditional woven fabric. I used bright blue bridal taffeta fabric remnants from making a skirt for my sister (still have so much left!). The songket is interfaced with what is called “hard fabric” in Indonesia, I don’t know the correct english term for it but it is fusible and super sturdy, to prevent ripples on the flimsy songket. The hardness of the fabric actually made it pretty difficult to turn it over right side out after I was done sewing the lining, so I had to go real slow but once that was taken care of, I’m a happy bunny with a fabric clutch that will not slouch. The only thing I’m miffed at is how I botched one of the top corners because the frayed edges left me with a gap/hole so I had to do some dodgy handsewing to close it up. (T ^ T)
The clutch is the size of a SO-EN magazine (my favorite issue – JUNE 2013 ~ Le Mariage ~ featured in the pic above) and fits about 3-4 Burdastyle magazines.