1 / 241
My old summer pyjamas died last year, so I really needed new ones. So I decided rather than buy some, I’d make myself a nightie. The pattern is a Butterick from the 1950s, but doesn’t have a pattern number on it, unfortunately. I found this fantastic spider print satin at Spotlight, and thought it’d be perfect for PJs.
I’m not a big fan of Butterick patterns, I think every one I’ve used has had some fitting issues with something being too big, and I had that problem here again, but nothing too horrible. The pattern is actually a slip rather than a nightie, so I had to shorten it by a few inches. It’s also rather roomier in the bust than I need, but that’s not a problem, and it fits well at the top of the bust, which is most important. I also changed the straps to meet in the middle of the back as they wanted to fall off my little shoulders, and added the ruffle for a bit of fun. The pattern also had matching knickers. Again, they fit perfectly at the top, but are far too long for ‘knickers’ – they’re really a skirt with a crotchpiece. They’re also very wide by the time they reach the hem (designed by Sir Mixalot, I think) so I cut an inch or so off each side. I like the idea of them, but if I make them again I’ll resize them so they actually fit.
Despite the few issues around fit and size, I really like these. They fit above the bust and at the waist, but the nightie is loose enough to sleep in, even though I toss and turn a lot. I’ll make changes if I make them again, but I think these turned out alright.