1 / 621
This dress was made as an entry for Tessuti’s cut out lace competition. I’d decided as soon as I saw the lace in store that I wanted to do as little as possible to it, and just let the fabric speak for itself. I decided to buy a single panel so I wouldn’t be tempted to do anything too fussy. I also wanted to use the half flower piece at the centre top of the panel as my neckline, so I thought a simple fitted sheath dress would be the go, and started pinning and draping on my mannequin.
It didn’t quite go according to plan. My first pinned and stitched attempt looked terrible when I tried it on, and a changed zipper and repinning didn’t look much better. Finally, I worked out that the way to make the dress fit properly was to pin it directly on myself. I did that on Saturday morning, sewed it up, and quickly took some photos and emailed them in before the competition closed that night.
You can read the full saga on my blog: http://antipodeanstitcher.blogspot.com.au/2016/09/tessuti-cut-out-lace-lbd.html