1 / 13


I’ve had this pattern for a while & decided to make it finally in a stretch cotton twill I bought from Croft Mill Fabric. A great weight, medium, not heavy, good amount of stretch & a fabulous satin finish. The walking pleat in the centre back seam has a buttoned placket above it. I am going to make more of these, they don’t take a lot of fabric & I like the shape. Perhaps I’ll shorten it more though, it’s definitely not as short as the sketch on the pattern envelope! I pinked the seam in the centre back & bound the hem with a matching cupro lining cut on the bias. I also used the lining for the inner waistband. the instructions call for petersham, but I find that is a little uncomfortable against the skin, & not everyone tucks their shirts in these days! The closure is a hook & bar which I used buttonhole stitch to attach. that way the hook & bar will still be attached to the waistband long after the rest of the garment has faded away!


Made from 1m of Liberty tana lawn, with a pretty good pattern match on the front, if I say so myself! The pattern itself is fairly quick & easy to run up. There are double tucks in the front & back, a convertible collar & facings at the armholes. I used French seams throughout, as I tend to do with Liberty lawn.

More on both projects, & more photos on the blog