1 / 320

McCalls 7053: MISSES’ TOPS: Loose-fitting, pullover tops have bias upper front variations. A: upper front extends into single-layer tie ends, wrong side shows, front neckline slit, narrow hem, and sleeves with bias binding. B: upper front extends into collar, side front button/snap closing and pleated sleeves with button cuff links.

This was a pretty straight forward design to put together, even though there are a couple of interesting shapes to contend with. I needed a quick and easy project and this was it. No underlining, no closures, no alterations . . . just a bit of sewing. I did, however, make some construction changes because I did not want to top-stitch the front drapes. So there are some hand-rolled edges and, of course, seam binding binding on those raw edges! So much for a quick!

This pattern is described as “loose-fitting.” Granted, I am using a fabric with very little drape, but I am unable to get this size 12 garment on my size 10 collapsible shoulder dress form. Not a good sign, right? But since I have more squishy bits than a dress form, I can get the blouse on without any problems. That being said, I was expecting a lot more ease built into something labeled “loose-fitting.” I really hope that McCalls is not changing the way the size things . . . I know everyone complains about too much ease, but it is the devil I know . . . if things start changing, it is going to mess with my head!

This is the first Archive Collection pattern I have stitched up. And I like it! But where is the original illustration?

One issue I had is that, like many vintage reproductions, the instructions are not very vintage. The back neck binding is folded in half and stitched along the seam allowance and then folded over . . . not a vintage construction technique. Also, the top-stitched edges of the ties (which I changed) are almost certainly not part of the original construction. I wish they would reproduce vintage techniques. I know I love learning different ways of approaching something, and I am sure I am not the only one!

This was meant to be my wearable muslin and I ended up liking it more than I expected. But I think I will still make myself another version when the perfect fabric comes along. And I may have to try View B, as well.

More pictures may be found on my blog, Lilacs & Lace.

And more info on my skirt may be found here and here.