1 / 1058

I made this dress last-minute to wear to an event at my school, using just stuff I had sitting around my house!

This unique dress has a tight-fitting, princess seamed, strapless bodice with a sweetheart neckline and is held up by boning. The skirt is overlaid by two peplums that create a really cool architectural, flower-like design.

I made a few small alterations to the pattern. I lengthened the torso by 1’’ and lengthened the zipper by an additional 2’’ (which ended up working out because the zipper was the same length as the top peplum). Also, when I was first putting together the skirt my top peplum stuck out a LOT! I think the combination of the stiff satin I used and the gathering on the hips made the top level stick out really far over my hips. I fixed this by concentrating the gathering to the front and back edges of the gathered region as opposed to right over the side seam and by pressing/pulling/folding the peplum until it lied a little flatter.

For more pictures and details, check out my blog, It’s Not Bragging If You Made It !