1 / 1105
Peplum Bustier – Burdastyle 10/2013 #109
I just finished making this peplum bustier out of upholstery fabric I got once from a craft store off-cuts bin. I didn’t make bubble pleats, only because I just had the written (not the illustrated) instructions, and couldn’t understand them lol. I used light-medium weight interfacing, and vintage left-over gold lining; the thickness of it makes it feel sturdy, the boning adding to the structure.There was a little hand-sewing to finish; all thick or raw seams on the lining are bound with gold craft store ribbon. I used hem tape to effectively reinforce all top and bottom edges of the lining. Seeing as I’m a cat lady lol I took these photos while cat-sitting at my uncles’ house. Location: Parnell
Alterations: I’d traced this bustier pattern a few years ago (I traced loads of sewing patterns earlier, and it might take me a while to get through them all lol!) and realized later that it was one size too small: at least for my stomach region, lol! So I added extra panels going down each side of the centre front opening, both measuring 4 cm across; it is a fair amount, and it looks flatter on the front peplum now lol. I made them using the wrong side of the fabric for a subtle contrast. While I could breathe better with the widened front section, the bust was now gaping out more than desired lol. So I decided to alter the original centre front seams, by cutting into the front bustier pieces, and removing two dart shapes (which involved unpicking and later restitching the seams where I’d joined them to the panels). At the top edges of both front pieces I drafted new lines starting 4 cm in from the center front seams, running down diagonally back out to the original seam-lines, and level with the approximate bust points. This worked for me as it pulls the top edge back in and curves around the boob area lol.
Update: I just added a photo I’d taken while I was in the middle of adjusting the seam lines, to show what I mean lol.