BurdaStyle

P6280371_large

3 / 216

I intended to make New Look 6181 pattern as a dress, however, as I began organize my cut out pattern pieces in preparation to sew, I realized I had only one skirt panel cut out and did not have enough fabric to cut the other skirt panel. So, I had to think of what to do.

I went forward with sewing the top part of this pattern, changing the neckline to more of a curve, as opposed to the V-neckline, to go better with the rounded cowl neck of the back. I also eliminated the front neck facings as I didn’t want this bulk to show through the light weight silk. The back string ties were also eliminated as I felt this would distract from the pretty drape. I cut out the sleeve pattern pieces to make the split seam “cold shoulder” type sleeves, but I opted to leave these off of the top as well.

I made French seams for the side seams, a narrow hem and edge for the bottom and the neckline, and made bias strips for the armholes.

So the top came out pretty nicely in my opinion. It is a little shorter that I would have made for a little tank top normally, so wearing it untucked just looks a little too short and does not hit the hip at a good plea, at least for me. It looks much better tucked into a skirt or pant. I love the fact that this top can be worn frontwards or backwards and looks nice either way. I hope to make up the dress view A of this pattern with the right amount of fabric as I think it is a very cute and easy to wear blouson dress.

Overall, I am happy with my mistake and think I made a pretty good save on this one!

More on my blog “Ode to Sew” http://odetosew.com/2014/06/29/teal-silk-cowl-neck-tank-top/

Close