1 / 58
I am so intrigued by the Steampunk genre! I decided to create this Victorian/Steampunk costume and used a combination of a few different patterns, with alterations — including Burda 7880 for the top’s bodice, Simplicity 1819 for the skirt and bustle, and Simplicity 3782 for the sleeves of the top!
I used a lovely burgundy two-tone iridescent silk taffeta fabric for the pieces. I altered the neckline of the top slightly by dropping it from a high-neck to a lower square neck. The top is lined with black cotton fabric. The silver buttons added a nice contrast to the dark color of the fabric. The sleeves were from a different pattern, and altered to include a bit more gathered fullness is the cap and shortened from long sleeve to a elbow-length.
The only thing I altered with the bustle skirt was that I added a layer of black stiff mesh netting by flat-lining it to the interior of the bustle to add volume and make it pouf correctly!
This was such a fun costume to make!