1 / 34284

Pattern 123A, long blouse

The sizing is way off on this pattern! I had to basically remake it in its entirety to make it look at all OK. I intended it to be a shirt, and my measurements were spot on for the waist placement, but it was long enough to be a dress. I took 5 " off the bottom and 4" or more off the sides (2-3" each side, laying flat). Now I have to redo the armholes. I made a size 40, and my smallest measurement was the bust measurement for that size. I was surprised I measured to the second to largest size, though, since I’m 5’1" and 130lbs, 32D. I expected it to be too small in the tummy because that’s where I carry my weight but it’s perfect- and for that I measured to a size 44!

First two pictures are before I made adjustments. I haven’t re-hemmed the sleeves yet, I don’t know if I will, I may wash it first to see what happens with the weird stiffness from the tape. I used a 1/4" strip of prepared bias tape, with heat-n-bond light, in place of Vilene. It would be great if Burda came up with an alternative to that for Americans since it’s called for in almost all of their patterns!

At times instructions are also quite unclear. The project would be easy/novice if things were explained a little better than “neaten edges” or other vague directions. You have to know how to sew to follow the pattern.