BurdaStyle

002_large

1 / 376

Thanks to the (temporary) light workload at the theatre I’m interning at this summer, the costume shop collectively decided it was time for a personal project. I found a lovely (and simple!) 1950’s vintage Butterick pattern for a straight skirt with a godet on the left side. I think the pattern said it had “French flair”.

I got 1 3/4 yards of a lovely green herringbone cotton, cut 4 inches off the pattern’s hem and sewed away. This is the first time I’ve worked with a real vintage pattern and was tickled that they called for a “slide fastener”. I also figured out what a “stay ribbon” was, so that my godet isn’t swinging all over the place. The hem is hand sewn. All in all, I’m really happy with this, even if I told myself I was going to stop making so many skirts!

Close