1 / 19

I made this costume for a ball with a steampunk theme. The dress itself is just a Victorian walking dress and the accessories make it steampunk. I had a few belt and leather scraps in my stash which I used for the small bags and added some metal embellishments in gear and cog shapes. In addition to the in the pattern included bustle pad (the little bum pillow) I drafted a crinoline to give the skirt a better look, which was otherwise a not full enough. The crinoline has one ruffle of tulle at the bottom finished with a black lace and three tired layers of gathered tulle in the back section. To have the skirt in the back really sticking out almost horizontally I added an extra layer of stiff tulle to the bustle pad. The pattern did fit me quite well, only minor alterations to blouse and shortening of the skirt. After a little bit of research before starting this sewing adventure – I found the pattern pretty historically correct. One detail I noticed in victorian blouses was the the shoulder seam, which I then changed from centered like we see in general to diagonally towards the back piece – hope it is visible in the pictures.