1 / 1876

I initially made this coat as a project video for our video streaming site, and I just love doing those videos because I get to choose the fabrics and wear the garments in the end! So for this our Cocoon Coat I wanted to infuse a little ‘meg’ into it (haha) so I went with a beautiful green textured wool and paired it with a vibrant cheetah print lining.

After the video was done, and the coat was complete I made a few secondary alterations to it. I know the coat is meant to have a loose silhouette but I wanted it a bit more fitted at the waist so I stretched and sewed in a 3" wide piece of elastic along the waistline in-between the coat and the lining (yes I took the he apart, oh no!). But it was definitely worth it in the end, and I also hand sewed back the top edges of the coat to almost give it a lapel collar effect. I could do this since the front snap fastener facing was so wide.

You can check out a video preview of my coat here, and then if you want to sew along and easily make your own variation with my help you can get the video download here.

Although it is a bit chilly to wear it now (I need my puffy coat, haha) I will wear it more when the season starts to change to Spring.