BurdaStyle

Matcoat5_large

1 / 4

I’ve fallen out of the habit of posting projects here lately, but I really want to get back in to it. I love browsing the project gallery and getting inspired. Must do my part!

I made a maternity coat from the August 2008 issue of Burdastyle. A fellow sewist graciously traced a copy of the pattern for me. You can read my original blog post about the project here

It is a really nice maternity pattern. An empire style jacket with enough room for a belly without looking like a tent or a linebacker. I did make a muslin and found that the neckline was very high and tight. I made some alterations, including a different collar. I also added width to the sleeve so I could slip it on over sweaters. I have worn the jacket everyday since I made it in December. It has been invaluable to have a coat that buttons over my big pregnant belly! I actually see myself wearing this coat next winter even when I’m not pregnant. I think the style of the coat suits regular wear, too.

The pattern calls for the jacket to be made out of suede, but I used an acrylic suiting I had in my stash. It’s not the best fabric in the world but it’s warm. This is all the coat I need where I live. It doesn’t get seriously cold. I lined the jacket with flannel except for the sleeves. I used a slippery lining so it would be easy to get on and off. I didn’t make buttonholes simply because my machine wouldn’t cooperate. I sewed on snaps instead. I struggled with the sleeve vents but that’s not due to the pattern. Just my skill level. I’m not happy with the way they look at all but at least I don’t see them while wearing the jacket.

Close