1 / 40
I decided to make this jacket for the Whimsical Fabric sewalong — albeit a few days late! As much as I would have loved to buy some new fabric for this project, I really wanted to stash bust. I had some laminated cotton in my stash that we used to use under my daughter’s highchair when she was a baby (and we had carpet at the time). It’s a little wild for a kids jacket and definitely not my first choice, but my daughter loves it because – flowers. After I committed to doing it, my sister suggested I turn the fabric into an art smock, which in hindsight would have been a better idea, but oh well! It is done! The lining is a quilting cotton that I picked up at a clearance center a few years ago. I had intentions to turn it into a dress but then I never did. I thought i was going to have to buy buttons, but discovered these perfectly matching buttons in my button jar – recently removed from an old moth eaten sweater.
I did a size 5. The pattern has a lot of pieces but it comes together beautifully. I need to take a photo of the lining. I just love the inside finishes in this jacket! I really want to make another one in wool with toggles.
One thing I was surprised to see is that the sleeves are cut on the fold. It doesn’t seem to be a problem movement wise though.
This pattern is a commitment, but I would make it again :).