1 / 111
This is a dress I’ve made inspired by a Dior dress from the 2012 Spring/Summer collection.
I’ve drafted a short kimono sleeved bodice by modifying a basic sloper. Then I made a muslin from the lightest gauze like fabric out there, which seemed to be a good fit, but the dress was a lot heavier (obviously!?) and felt too loose around my waist. Since I didn’t want to alter the chiffon bodice to avoid further fraying, I decided to insert an elastic band into the waistline, which successfully cinched it in a little. Then I attached the velvet ribbon first from the outside, then from the inside, hiding all the seam allowances neatly. I used French seams everywhere.
The closure on the back of the bodice is made of two grosgrain ribbons, and there is an invisible zipper in the back of the skirt.
The edges were finished by zig-zag stitching over an embroidery thread then cutting the excess fabric off, which gives the hems some definition, as well as it unfortunately makes the fabric tear easily. The floral fabric on the bodice was first basted then hand sewn from the inside of the dress, but it was done in a less than professional way, as I got really impatient by the end of it, as you can imagine. :)
You can find some pictures of the “original” version and some photos of the construction details on my blog here and here..