BurdaStyle

Blackvelshirt1_large

1 / 1

I created this top to wear to a concert which I was attending. Actually, I whipped it up the night before the concert (procrastination).
I used the pattern BUTTERICK 5562, View B to make it. The funny part of the story is that when I laid out my fabric, I realized I was short about 6 inches of material and that the pattern was sticking off of the fabric. So, the contrasting velvet side-stripes were born. Necessity is the mother of invention. I cut the pattern pieces about 1 inch thinner on the sides and cut out a strip of contrasting fabric about 1" wide (plus seam allowances). Then I sewed the strips to the sides of the top to make up for the missing fabric. The same thing happened when I went to cut out the sleeves. I just didn’t have enough fabric to make them in one color; but my mind was set on long sleeves, so I added the velvet to the bottom of the arm.
The squared-off design on the bodice of the top was made using doublesided 5/8" wide velvet ribbon, which I stitched down with my machine.
I love the rusching on the sides of the sleeves, because it reminds me of vintage sleeves from the 1930’s/40’s/50’s. Overall, I like the way the project turned out.

Close