Added Feb 16, 2014
Started with this top to reintroduce myself to my sewing machine (that’s a lie) I had been making some small kids projects, but this was my first go at something for me, for a long time.
The pattern is a ‘vintage’ 1940’s Simplicity Pattern #1692. I loved the illustrations, not so much the photo (as is often the case) but you never really know if the design will even come close to looking like the illustration.
I decided against using the darts recommended by the pattern. The top has the classic narrow (non-existent) waistline of that era, but because I’m more straight up and down it looked really over-worked with them in.
There is something that is probably truly obvious to most sewers that I’ve been overlooking all these years that I learnt from this project. I often choose a fabric without realising how see-through it is, or that it’s too light for the project I envisage it for. Whilst it wasn’t a huge deal with this top, I’m a bit annoyed that the facing shows. Lesson learnt!
Coloured spotted polyester cotton, picked up at a remnants sale years ago.