Added Feb 16, 2014
Started with this top to reintroduce myself to my sewing machine (that’s a lie) I had been making some small kids projects, but this was my first go at something for me, for a long time.
The pattern is a ‘vintage’ 1940’s Simplicity Pattern #1692. I loved the illustrations, not so much the photo (as is often the case) but you never really know if the design will even come close to looking like the illustration.
I decided against using the darts recommended by the pattern. The top has the classic narrow (non-existent) waistline of that era, but because I’m more straight up and down it looked really over-worked with them in.
There is something that is probably truly obvious to most sewers that I’ve been overlooking all these years that I learnt from this project. I often choose a fabric without realising how see-through it is, or that it’s too light for the project I envisage it for. Whilst it wasn’t a huge deal with this top, I’m a bit annoyed that the facing shows. Lesson learnt!
Coloured spotted polyester cotton, picked up at a remnants sale years ago.
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.