You can go your own way!
Added Aug 15, 2012
Cardiff, United ...
So here is my first take on Burda’s knot front dress. I’ve seen so many versions of this dress that I thought I’d try my hand at it too. I’m dreaming of doing it in a geometric print to really highlight the knot. However, I was a bit nervous about spending lots of money on fabric for a pattern which is very different from those I usually make.
Sooo… I made one first in this VERY cheap floral poly cotton (£1.50 pm).
Now I know this dress is designed for tall people (one of which I am not!) so I had anticipated that I might need to shorten the pattern…Understatement of the year. I chopped 20 inches off the pattern and then hemmed it 6 inches further! I’m sure it must be a maxi dress although the pattern didn’t state that anywhere.
Apart from shortening the skirt I didn’t make any other alterations. I think this dress would have been pretty simple if I hadn’t tried to understand the instructions!! Sometimes my brain can’t process that formal tone :). As it was I decided against doing the back facing and just used the lining instead – I couldn’t see the point in both. Some things I did just do my own way anyway (hence the dress name!) I really like the finished dress, although I’m not best pleased with the unfinished edges around the knot. Oh and I forgot to add seam allowance to the pattern so I used 5mm seams all around and didn’t do an invisible zip in the hope of adding a bit of extra space. (Luckily the shape of the neckline means it’s not a tight fit anyway). I used a contrasting zip just for a bit of fun – I also did some top stitching in bright orange which hasn’t really come out in the photos.
Next time I make this I will a) use a geometric print, b) make a slightly fully skirt back, c) not follow the pattern instructions! d) use a much more flowy fabric as it does stick out a bit at the front
PS I will wear with a vest underneath usually – I felt rather exposed having these photos taken!
Cheap as chips floral poly cotton