Yellow & Green Medieval Dress
Added May 18, 2011
I made this for my sister to wear on halloween, but she ended up deciding to be something else. Still, I think she enjoys playing around in this costume.
I used the Butterick 4827 pattern, view A. I had to shorten the pattern through the waist, because she was a little shorter than the measurements for the pattern. I inserted godets in the front seams to look like an underdress sticking through, and for those I used the godets in Simplicity 4923. I drafted the puffy lower-sleeves myself.
I made a mistake by buying too little fabric. I dyed the linen yellow, dried it, laid it out and then realized that my pattern stuck of the end. So I went back to the store and bought more, and tried to dye it to match the other fabric. There is a hint of a difference, but unless you look at it up close, you can’t tell.
I dyed the other linen green and used it on the lower-sleeves and godets. The sleeves close at the wrist with big snaps.
I did a ton of hand work on this. I hand-embroidered my own design on the bodice and blanket-stitched around the neck edge and sleeve center-seam. I also stitched some wide soutache braid around the neck and down the lacing section in the back. I hand-bound the lacing holes in the back. I also hand-sewed the hem of the dress.
This was a really fun project to make. I loved doing it.
6 yards patterned linen, 2 yards plain linen, 3/4 yard yellow cotton, 1 1/2 yards interfacing, 2 yards brown cord, 2 yards green soutache braid, 2 packs of yellow dye, 1 pack of green dye, 4 1/2 yards hem facing, two large snaps, embroidery floss, thread.